Today is International Nurses Day.
On May 12th each year, we celebrate the contributions of Nurses around the world.
In this episode, we speak with Mark Aitken of Nurse & Midwife Support. He shares with us the ways they can give help and support to those who tirelessly and selflessly care for others. Mark shares why nurses and midwives self-care is essential.
As nurses and midwives, your health matters – and what better way to celebrate that than on International Nurses Day?
TOPICS WE DISCUSSED INCLUDE:
- Nurse and Midwife Support (3:59)
- The importance of self-compassion (6:17)
- Creating cultures that prioritize self-care (8:05)
- Having a shared responsibility of nurse’ self-care (9:55)
- Health and well-being in team meetings (11:15)
- Counseling skills as part of nursing training (12:37)
- Listening to learn instead of listening to respond (14:53)
- Listening to yourself (14:46)
- Leading with gratitude (16:40)
- Remaining humble and quieting the ego (17:39)
- International Day of the Nurse (20:13)
- Self-care practices (21:17)
- Developing your own self-care plan (24:00)
- What is indulgent self-care? (27:50)
- Self-permission (29:17)
- 2020 Year of the Nurse and Midwife Podcast Episode
- Nurse and Midwife Support Number: 1-800-667-877
- Nurse and Midwife Support Website
- Self-Care tips
- Resources on Burnout
THIS EPISODE SPONSORED BY
ABOUT MARK AITKEN
Mark Aitken is the Consultant and Stakeholder Engagement Manager at Nurse & Midwife Support (NM Support) and has been a proud Registered Nurse for 37 years. He has a varied career having worked in acute surgical nursing and intensive care. With more than 30 years experience as a registered nurse, Mark is committed to supporting the health of nurses, midwives and students.
Nurse & Midwife Support is a national service supporting the health of nurses, midwives and students. The team has over 275 years of lived nursing & midwifery experience call 1800 667 877 if you are looking for support.